Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gainer Shame: Open-ended responses

These are the open-ended responses to the survey questions associated with blog post Gainer Shame.

Q10 : Describe what makes you feel guilty or ashamed about 
coming out as non-heterosexual

Order
Answer
Responses
Percent
1

114
100

I just wanted to be like 98% of men. Str8
At the time just being attracted to men was wrong.  I had an uncle who was gay and living in New York City, and he was clearly considered to be outside of the mainstream.
fd
being treated differently by people i know
I guess just not living up to expectations
I felt I was letting my parents down slightly. My mom is unable to give birth to her own children, so both my brother and I are adopted. She always emphasized how much she would love having grandchildren, and being gay makes that process a bit more complicated. Although, she's recently been much more open about the situation, and encourages me to find a good partner and adopt or artificially inseminate for children of my own!
No gays in my family / friends of my family
(even if I have gay friends)
i want to come out now. i have chosen to wait until i am finished with college and living on my own. I feel that it would only complicate my relationship with my family. It isn't something they "need" to know. Im not going great lengths to hide it either.
Almost all of my friends are straight guys... I don't want them to start thinking I've been checking them out or for them to start treating me differently.
Just the thought of losing those very close to me.
Just the way I would be seen as something freakish.
I do not feel ashamed at all, but my sexuality does not matter @ work. I though use proper literature to make the kids and families I work with feel unashamed about their sexuality. I work with a couple of lesbian or transgender families and I always give them the possibility to feel comfy where their kids are growing up.
I remember how sad my mom got when my sister announced that she had a girlfriend. Even though that is several years ago, and my family has adjusted very well to that situation, I always think that my parents have shifted their hope for future children to me. And that just might never happen.
I don't feel guilty about it at all. I do, however, value the opinions of my family and friends.
I will be judged and lose friends and family
Well, coming from a very religious family, being gay was pretty much the worst thing you could be.
Only the guilt that comes with not being able to offer my parents the stereotypical and idolised son, who will marry and father children.
I had no real issues
My parents do so much for me, and I kinda feel like I'm letting them down.
That it is wrong
its the way my family will think of me and see me differently
Its looked at as an "alternative" lifestyle... Constantly treated as a second class citizen. Yet we pay taxes, but don't get equal rights.
not living up to their expectations, crushing their dreams.  There was also the immense fear of being pushed away and not being able to assist them when they got older.
With my friends, the big deal is that I myself am not sure what my sexual orientation actually is, therefore talking about this subject feels a little sensitive to me. Another problem is that any thought of people not liking me is terrifying for me. What makes things worse is my family - they don't have a problem with gay people in general, but they admitted on several occasions that 'I would feel terrible if he was my son' and such.
I was worried about what my dad would say. Turns out it actually gave him a chance to come out of the closet too.
Family and friend acceptance
Its not guilt so much as bot wanting to be stereotyped because I'm gay, which a number of people I know would
brought up in a straight world irish catholic
The fact that I could never be the son my parents' wanted and hoped for.
The attitude of my parents (especially my father) and my religious background initially made me feel guilty, but everyone else has been very accepting.
What Will my family think?
The only guilt I have is that I am not likely to pass on my family's genes. And that in my family's eyes, I will never be happy unless I'm married to a woman and have kids.
:(
it is not natural. it is more difficult to attain the "american dream"
Nothing now.  Was just nervous when younger
religion, conservative area of the country
Being thought of as "the gay guy" as opposed to a human being, even among my closest, most tolerant friends.
The only thing that brought me any shame was the fact that I wouldn't be able to give my parents the chance to be grandchildren.
Neither guilty or ashamed, just scared of being resented.
I am a very proud gay man and have been since I came in 1978.  Closets are for clothes.







Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

The word is not guilty... but I just wouldnĂ‚´t like anybody to change negatively his point of view about me.
I was concerned because I cam out in High School, which is a very difficult time in a childs development.
Loss of friends and disapproval of family.
I felt it was wrong for me to be gay.  Other people can be but not me.  I am fine with being gay now and my family loves me, but they don't acknowledge that I am gay even though I have a partner.
I never felt personal shame in being gay, and I didn't think my parents would think I should be shamed, but I do worry about the way family friends and my father's business friends would view my homosexuality.
I was worried about how worried my family would be for me.
Things are alot different now but we are just looked upon differently
That I was a disappointment to my family and friends.
fear of being not liked or loved anymore because of that
No longer applies.
Religious upbringing mostly.
My opinion on this is that you should be 100% honest with your sexuality and what you want, and those who don't support you in something that you are born with, then those people aren't worth it.
I didn't feel guilt or shame, but I did feel fear and anxiety. I was concerned after hearing all the stories of a kid coming out that the parents just toss the kid out on the street, and I wasn't sure what my parents would do.
n/a
Afraid to be judged
It is mainly the lack of reassurance that my friends and family would accept me or think/treat me in the same way. It is also the fact that I hate labels and being labeled as gay or straight makes me unsure if I am one or the other or both.
England's more liberal than America.  No problems at school or with family.
family
Here's the weird thing, I don't think that I was not concerned about what other people thought, but I think I have a lot of internalized homophobia that meant I made very conservative choices. Meaning, I would rarely go to gay bars, and I would often choose jobs that made being openly gay almost impossible. It's like a man who travels to a desert island and laments that there's nobody around to talk to, if you know what I mean.
fetish for weight
Letting my family down.  Especially my mother, since she wanted kids... but I am thankful that she was able to accept me for who I am.
I felt that I was letting my family down
i was scared more then ashamed
It was less acceptable then than is currently.
Being perceived as having 'changed' and being different to peers. Also always having to qualify my sexuality - sooner or later when meeting someone the 'announcement' has to be made that I am gay as I am not overtly or stereotypically gay in behaviour.
I wasn't sure how my family would react. We have no (out) non-hetero family members. I am "the only grandson" on one side so sometimes have felt pressure about having a family.
Nothing. Who cares who I sleep with anyways, I'm Canadian
The way we are made to feel it is wrong to be different.
Losing all my close relationships that took years to build.
Not one of my friends are gay and I doubt they'd look too kindly upon it seeing as though we are that close.
Feeling like I was giving in after denying so much.
It's just the thought of people not liking me after.
I can't say that I felt guilt or was ashamed about anything, I was more worried about my parents being disappointed.  This turned out not to be the case, and I was very fortunate to have a positive experience coming out to my family and friends.
I think the guilt or shame that came from being non-heterosexual was more of a fear-based notion.  That the idea of my inability to feel the same sexual and romantic feelings for a woman were not that of a man made me think that if I were to express these feelings my family would reject me as a whole.
Nothing!
did not want to disappoint
I am very worried about how other people would react, that it might draw unwelcome attention to me, or lead to me being alienated.
I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that my family in particular has a long history of fighting gays in the church. They aren't the type who overtly preach against it (they're not "fundamentalist" in that sense), but they also feel very strongly that the church should uphold certain standards, and as such, the church (in this case, Presbyterian) shouldn't succumb to "trendy" things like allowing the ordination of homosexuals. PLUS, my family overall is just pretty conservative in general--elements of rural upbringings, some military connections, etc.
I don't really think it should make a difference who you lie in bed with or who you're attracted to.  That's what makes all different and unique.
Family







Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

Nothing! In the uk guys can get married - and we did, last year!! And ALL of our families, from my 81 year old grandmother to my 10 month old niece were there!!
letting family and friends down
Other people's perception change, possible lowering of trust, not coming out earlier.
There is the idea in the back of my head that gay people aren't good enough. The word gay used as slang for "stupid" and other gay derogatory slurs make me feel that way.
Nothing.
My family is very intolerant of anybody different from their narrow world view. I had this (literally) beaten into me as a child.
I'm not at all ashamed now, but back before I came out I was ashamed, I think because at the time there was no indication of acceptance in the media, I had never met anyone who was gay, and had had it ingrained into me that it was wrong. (this was over 30 years ago)
The fact that people think it is a conscious decision I have made to be gay, ie not appreciating it's the way you're born and the way you feel.
I don't.
not having told people earlier
Homosexuality was not acceptable in my family.
Being treated as a lesser person than how I was treated when they didn't know.
I identify as heterosexual.  The survey wouldn't let me continue without completing this question.
Just the thought of losing friends and family, no shame or guilt about being gay in itself.
The feeling of non accpetance by others to hide my true self from everyone around me
N/A
It's not guilt or shame, but just a certain degree of fear. Fear that I won't be strong enough to defend myself, whether through debate/argument or a more physical response.
religious expectation as well as the social image which i generally purvey which causes anyone i tell to become shocked, usually causing the process to not go as smoothly
I just feel more or less, an outcast. Not, completely, but people look at you a bit differently, and that makes me feel as though I brought it on myself, though I know it's not my choice to make.
I don't bring it up at jobs, but my family knows I am bi-sexual. I came out late to them, but earlier to my friends.
Well at first i think that i really was wrong, toke me lot of time and finally when i think in myself and being happy was much much better! Now im totally out of closet!
Making things "embarrassing" for my Dad, who's family is traditional and Colombian.
they'll basically hate me for life.
nothing.
Just the fact that my str8 family knows!
Growing up, I feared my friends would no longer be my friends if they new the "real" me.  As for my family, while not generally VERY religious, my mother had expressed that being gay was a sin in the eyes of God.  That made it difficult.
Disappointing to family
It's against our belief system and members of our community have been shunned for coming out.
It's not guilt or being ashamed as much as bracing for how the rest of the world will occasionally remind you of it. For example: Gay Rights, someone throwing the word "fag" at you as an insult, knowing people out there are already against you when you don't even know them.
Its not the norm.. you are looked at as broken.
Nothing
My family would not accept me, that it used to accept.
I feel like they will not accept me and will treat me differently than before they knew.
Being different than normal men and behaving different, that is having sex with men. It's just not natural that men are having sex with men.




Total
114
100%
   
Q12 : Describe what makes you feel guilty or ashamed 
about coming out as a gainer/encourager/admirer to 
important people in your life

Order
Answer
Responses
Percent
1

128
100

I don't feel guilty. I just like the stomach. Most shapes and sizes. Love gutpunching mostly!
It seems so far out of mainstream acceptance.  I enjoy gaining and vetting bigger but if I know I have a vacatiOn coming up where I wear a bathing suit I lose weight.  It's hard for me to think that other people might think, "he used to be so hot."
a
their concern for my health
The taboo surrounding the topic - it not being the norm in society.
The fact that it is so out of the ordinary and that being fat has a negative impact on health, in general.
I probably do the exact opposite of what I tell others in the gaining world. I would love to just let go and fatten up some, but then I always get myself concerned what others would think...that sort of thing....which I know I shouldnt even be concerned with.
It's always been important in my family to be fit. I swam competitively for 10 years and was never really unfit until senior year of high school and this first year of college. My dad just went on a health-kick and is skinnier (and healthier) than ever, and my mom has always been skinny. My parents harass my brother constantly about his weight, and I think it takes a negative toll on his sense of self. It also has to deal with how society views 'fat' today. Everyone has their comfortable/healthy weight, and I really believe that mine is based a bit heavier than normal. Being skinny is something so admired in today's culture that it is hard sometimes to face the idea of going so far against what others believe.
Feel like being a freak ? However it's really easier knowing (with youtube, grommr...) that I'm far from being the only one !
come on. you seriously need an explanation on this one?
I wouldn't care about them knowing that I'm attracted to bigger men, but at the same time it's a kink... I don't want important... shall we say "non sexual" people in my life knowing what gets me off. Weird!
Just that they never planned that for my future and that I would not give them what they want.
That some people would misunderstand and think I am extreme (which in some fantasies sure but not in practice).
Sometimes I feel guilty of not being as powerful as I was as a slender guy. Being bigger though makes me feel more powerful in other ways.
It's a very rare thing to be attracted to, for sure, but since this doesn't really affect other people so much I'm only concerned about the embarrassment.
I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of being attracted to fat guy and into gaining. It's how I was born and there is nothing I can do about it. However, it's not something I would like to share with my family members, not because I think it's wrong, more because I think they would worry.
With it being 'not normal', I do feel that I would get rejected as its not the usual thing. Rejection is my biggest fear
Its a very weird fetish and I'm afraid everyone will look differently at me.  Will also probably lose friends
Society basically says that fat = very bad. Shame on you for liking it!
It is, obviously, contrary to societal norms and I would likely never tell my family.
nothing
They might find it too weird and shun me.
I guess it's not really accepted by the main.
what they would say and see me as a weird homo whose sick
Well, never came out to anyone on that.  Doesn't really manifest itself outside of the online community and the direct contact i've had with gainers/encouragers in the past.
I have a fair amount of friends who are fat themselves, but they all seem to detest their bodies too much for me to admit sexual attractions of this kind.
I would be worried that revealing such information would forever change my relationship with those important to me.  I don't think I could overcome those doubts.
It's hard, with society being the way it is, to love bellies and want to grow them and what not. I know. Total cop out. y
Considered more a sexual fetish, I don't often share this side with family and friends outside the G/E community
Its not shame so much as they would never understand so I don't see the point
One particular friend stopped contacting me when she came across my Youtube channel.
People and Family..
Parent's just don't understand. I am a highly evolved creature and most are still happy to be spoonfed thoughts and opinions.
My dad has diabetes, as well as other members of my extended family & he always warns me to keep my weight under control.
not acceptable by society. kinda of weird.
It goes against the norm.  No one would be excited to see me with a partner that is obese, or that grew very very fat.
the irregularity of it
It is an unusual fetish that needs a lot of explanation, and I don't really understand my own feelings.
The kind of friends I make.
It's extremely taboo in the gay community, or at least my local one. Gay guys are thin and beautiful. It's hip and cool to skip meals. I once had a boyfriend that told me he "liked me frail".







Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

Even though I love bellies and stuff, I'm not actually "out" with that. I have a boyfriend and he has a little belly and it has no place in our relationship. I'm not sure how he would react to me telling him about it--if there would even be a reaction at all--but it feels like a way more harder "coming out" because it's so sexually counter cultural.
It just isn't normal to most people and I fear being outcasted.
Once I admire or compliment a guys belly, he recoils and becomes embarrassed.
I donĂ‚´t feel ashamed about it, I just mention it in case weĂ‚´re talking about what we like.
Society says we should be thin and have a desire to be thin and fit.  Its very difficult to convince someone that you feel the exact opposite, wars are fought on ideals and differences like that.
My family is very critical on people's weight.  I had long time issues to decide to put the weight on.  I still feel uncomfortable in there house.
I think it's kind of like what John Waters says, "you don't need to come out to your parents as a bear". I've considered telling friends about my fetish before, and after weighing the pros and cons, I think the only good outcome would be an explanation for why I'm always growing fatter. I just don't see how having my friends or family know about my fetish would improve our relationship. I'm glad to not be vanilla, and I will never judge anyone for their fetish, but I don't think there's really a need for all the fetishes of the world to be out and celebrated. There's too much emphasis on what people do in their bedrooms already.
Excess. It's excess. Embodied. And...there are people who have...nothing. People who are starving. That's a problem.
Before i found about about the gaining community, i had never even heard of belly or fat worship
It is completely the opposite of what "society" thinks, so  people aren't trained to think about it or respond positively.
It is a fetish and people view fetishes as taboo. I don't want to have to explain myself to anyone, so I just don't mention it to family. I tell friends though.
They might think its weird, sick...
It would be regarded as "weird" by the majority of the population.
Fighting the myths that FAT is always a death sentence.
It's not my sole attraction, but my friends and family both are very fitness-conscious.  I myself am muscular and athletic with a bit of a belly, but I rarely tell anybody that I'm attracted somewhat to men who are a bit "chunkier" because it's none of their business, but there will also undoubtedly be some judgment on their part. In terms of my own body, It makes me uncomfortably simply because I know what I want my body to be and when I was much skinnier as well as MUCH larger (I used to be an active gainer, but due to little to zero attraction from others and just overall not liking how I looked, felt, clothes felt, etc. I decided to go after a much healthier lifestyle) I used to recieve a lot of nasty comments on my body and weight.
I think just that it is so frowned upon in society, and that my family wouldn't agree, but I have a feeling they would voice their disdain in the form of concern for my health.
It's a fetish, and it's taboo in society. Straying from the norm a little bit seems acceptable, but this fetish is usually far beyond than what most people can handle. It would be difficult for my friends to accept.
It oges aginst the "norm."
Again judgement and lack of assurance that friends and family would treat me differently about it.
It's definitely not seen as 'normal', while being homosexual is now accepted as being normal.  Unlike other fetishes, this one seems to encourage something viewed as unhealthy, and also goes completely against what people expect gay men to be like.  Fatness isn't acceptable in modern society, and particularly in gay culture.
society
Well, I have told people in the past that the reason why this gay man is eating so much fatty food, is because this gay man is a gainer, but usually this just meets with strange looks â?? like I said that I enjoy having sex with toast or something. Even still, I don't know to whom or when I should be coming out of the fridge, as they say. I don't know if I'm really answering the question, so let me say this. I feel that every step I take on the gainer path is a step I take away from the traditional gay lifestyle. I have doubts myself about whether fat acceptance can land you a boyfriend.
not the norm
I haven't really came out as a gainer/encourager.  I don't really mind keeping it in.  But for others, I can see how it is even harder to let people know because it's almost like coming out of the closet again.  A double whammy, if you will.
That my likes are in opposition to what is accepted in society.
i was scared comming out as gay gainer for long  time but over the years meeting and chatting with people i felt better and more happy
i was scared at frist but as i saw more and more fat people around i felt ok then i just came out and feel good now
Rejection
The fear again of being different to others. I work in health, have always been slim and feel I have to live up to the 'healthy' role. I fear again what people might think of me, about them not understanding and about rejection arising from that. I am also pretty awful at disclosing personal feelings and emotions to most people, so the prospect of revealing such intimate sexual details about my preferences, actions and desires within such a niche fetish area is almost impossible for me to consider.
Current societal messages are almost 100% against the practice. It could also potentially lead to trouble since my family has history of heart disease and diabetes.
its a very socially unacceptable norm
lucky i was very big so it never crossed my mind
Cause everyone would worry and think I need some sort of professional help, wither it be a therapist or a trainer.
It's none of their concern what excites me. All that matters is that I am happy
I've encouraged my partners in secret. I think that's enough reason to feel guilty. Fattening them up without them realising or giving consent.
being an encourager and feeder is probably different from being an admirer, at least for me. I do not feel ashamed of my attraction for bigger guys. My friends know that i prefer beefy men over skinny guys and we talk open and freely about it. gaining and encouraging however is something i feel ashamed of telling people, because i d not like to be rejected by them.
If I put on weight intentionally, I don't know if I can handle the teasing.
Same as 1st
Fear of being judged.
Maybe the unhealthiness is a downside, otherwise nothing to be ashamed of.




Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

In many ways, I think coming out as a "gainer," or as someone who may be attracted to big guys, or in my own case, being attracted to guys who appreciate my belly and want to make me grow, is tougher than coming out as gay.  The dominant opinion that fat is unattractive, and that gaining weight and being fat is unhealthy, makes it tougher for people to understand.  Sort of how some people may not understand how I am attracted to someone of the same sex, many more people don't seem to understand the "gainer/encourager/admirer" scene.
For me, much like not fitting into the social norm of being heterosexual, I feel that I was already a bit of an outcast for being gay, and that my attractive to fat, overweight guys or that I want to be one of those attractive, fat, and overweight guys would only exacerbate my relationship with friends and family.
My family is mostly trying to lose weight, and basically feel that being fat makes them ugly or unattractive or less attractive.
They'd never understand, it would completely gross them out.
its weird!
The simple fact of being attracted to something that's deemed so... "unhealthy" in our society. Well, I think it's hot and I'm not so sure why. But I like it.
I am very worried about how other people would react, that it might draw unwelcome attention to me, or lead to me being alienated.
Being gay, I've always felt like a bit of an outsider. I don't like the idea of being an even GREATER minority. Plus, the area in which I live is relatively health-conscious, so everyone is always trying to be "fit" and lose weight. In short: not socially acceptable.
It's not the circle of friends I run in generally - not really accepted but there's a point where it doesn't necessarily matter and people need to like you for who you are.
Not idealed in society
Nothing that a good drunken chat didn't cure!
it goes against how i was raised or what society tells us
They would probably think I'm crazy.
The idea that they just wouldn't understand and think it is disgusting.
Nothing
Fetishes are generally mocked in society, no matter what they are. Think of how many handcuff gags you see in movies & tv, and what that prop is alluding to, and how it is supposed to make the viewer feel about the character(s).
For me it's not so much that I'm ashamed, but really am not in the mood at this point in me life to have the whole explanation conversation over and over.  My partner and a couple of close friends know, and for right now, that's all that need to know.
I don't think people would understand it at all, therefore easier just to not mention it.
I tend to get ashamed about anything sexual.  It doesn't seem like it would be their business.
don't need the sermons about health, worry about how clothes look
It's not just the physical or health implications. Socially, fat is associated with traits like low intelligence and laziness and a lack of self-respect. So why would you find that attractive. Early on I felt really ashamed. Even coming out as a bear chaser was hard. But as I've grown more open about bears, beards and bellies there's less discomfort - my bf knows I love him being much fatter than he was ;)
I feel that I will be ridiculed.
As a fit, average-sized person who has recently started gaining again, I am concerned about people viewing my getting fat as "ruining"/harming myself; or, even worse, as indicative of some kind of mental health issue (depression, eating disorder, etc...).
The label chubby chaser gets banded about and seems to limit what they think you can be atracted too.  I like masculine people doesn't matter if they are fat, skinny, or muscled aslong as there is something about them which attracts me.
At first I thought it was such an odd thing to like but as I grown, learned more, and found my place in the gay community I realize it's not all odd to like big guys.
In most peoples eyes its not natural and so i kept the attraction to myself only telling those i know on simillar websites to do with bellies
N/A
I don't because it's nobody else's business what I do with MY body.
the social stigma of it, my self consciousness, together they just confuse and concern those i love who know of my interests
I'm between a 2 and 3. Obviously, I can't help it--it's what I'm attracted to. But, I feel once again, like an outcast, I feel out of place. More so than being gay, because there is only a fraction of people who admit they like fat, whereas there are a fair amount of openly gay men/women. idk. I just feel I would be distanced or looked at weird if I told people "I love being chubby/ guys who are getting chubby."
I wouldn't say it's so much guilt or being ashamed about it, but I believe it's inviting too much interest in my life and my habits. I don't think EVERY sexual desire I have is worth giving to everyone in my life -- I certainly don't know theirs! And I don't want/need to know. Plus having grown up fat, I don't feel like getting into that territory with them.
I think as in all places people think that gain weight is bad and that suck, always taking care the health is really ok, doing some sports and gaining is the best way to be a gainer.
I don't need to come out as a gainer. It's a sex thing, not a lifestyle for me.
They'd be disgusted and disown me.
Nothing.
Im really not any of these, I don't try to gain weight I just do. I just like finding sexy twink ish types on here.
It seems very peculiar to people that someone would be in to this sort of thing.  That, and all chubby chasers represented in media seem to be some fat-driven sex monsters, even in queer-related media (Queer as Folk).  The irony here is that sex-driven sex monsters was the charge labled against all homosexuals not too long ago.
Not sure, exactly, just that it's so far outside of what is expected.  They know I tend to like guys bigger and my brother even once commented that i seemed "proud" of my belly.
They might think less of me.
While most of my friends know since most of my friends are gainers, and to an extent my family knows too. I could never directly tell my grandmother that not only am i gay and she has not gotten used to that at all yet but I am fat on purpose and only am attracted to other fat men







Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

it doesn't make sense to them, so they would just get angry.
I don't personally think that "coming out as a gainer/ecourager/admirer" is even necessary. It's a preference.  Do men who like big breasts on women tell their family that they are in a relationship because of the woman's breasts? No. So why would I even bother my family with such a superficial thing?
Only out to like minded individuals
It's pretty sexual, and I don't like to discuss that with just anyone.
My friends and family want me thinner, but i love been fat.
Naturally have a really athletic build, and no overweight relatives at all, so its weird for me to be like that.
In our today's society, we don't really accept fat people, it's okay if the are but gaining to become it's something that people don't really understand without the gaining community.
In society fat people are considered gross and disgusting and I think its very hard to tell someone you know very well that you actually like those fat guys and you even find them pretty attractive.




Total
128
100%
   
Q20 : In your opinion, what could be done to reduce the 
shame and guilt associated with gaining, attraction to 
fatness, encouraging, etc.?

Order
Answer
Responses
Percent
1

146
100

Tell someone to just go 4 it. Don't regret what you have done. Regret what you haven't done
If it were excepted and encouraged by the mainstream.
0001
seeing fat gay men out in public
I really don't know, I suppose just dealing with it and having people to talk to who understand
try to get rid of the thoughts of what others would think.  do what makes you happy
Finding a partner within the gaining community would be very helpful because they'd be there as a support through possibly coming out to my parents about the gaining side of me.
It would surely help a lot if this community was known outside of the web !
Not let others affect you
i have no ideas.
It's all about how the person attracted to it feels. Kind of like coming out about being gay... if you don't make a big deal out of it, most other people won't either.
Well if I had someone in my family that had the same issue as me.
The perception that not all fat is unhealthy.  That enjoying good food (i.e.  not fast food crap) is natural.
Teach teachers and educators to not feel bad about themselves. Telling everyone that there is skinny and fat people. Everyone has a right to be!
Making society more aware of its existence is the first thing that needs to happen. I think that most things are possible in this world, and certainly the endless possibilities of how many different attractions there are.
If being fat wasn't such a health risk.
No idea
If it was more acceptable in society
I honestly don't know...it's hard because I still feel that way.
It being revealed to mainstream society in a positive, or at least not so deviant and unhealthy light.
I dont know really
Making fat not seem like such a bad thing in the media.
No idea
no
peoples perception on beauty
comeout as gay and into fat guys
have more sites explaining what this is and that they are not alone and have safe sites for the under 18
I'm not sure, most fetishes people have are kept hush hush, unless spoken about amongst eachother I find.
imagery used in ads and publications needs to embrace a broader range of body types.  It's difficult for many to feel good about themselves, when those that they often look up to are bashed and ridiculed when they gain a pound or show some sagging skin on the beach... it's just unpractical, but a national/global obsession.
I'm not entirely sure that should happen.
I would have to move somewhere where I could start afresh.
Fat models. End of story. There's a show with big models on it, and I wish there were more like that. I do wish that beauty was viewed like it was in the years gone.
More public display or recognition
Trying to get people to understand but I don't have much hope
should have more groups and socials
Coming to terms with it and considering it less voodoo.
More understanding from the community that the fetish doesn't always involve the desire for belly rubs and feeding. Regular sex with an attractive gainer guy is enough for some.
Not sure.
To see everyone else fat.=)
Live your own life. Everyone thinks they have the manual on how to live everyone elses life. I take the position: I don't know what is right for you, and you don't know what is right for me, to each his own.







Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

Lost with this
Show us that there are other people like us. Maybe other stranger fetishes.
I don't think encouraging and feeding up a partner will every be socially acceptable - even though i love it
If it were a more common and healthier thing
Don't know
I'm getting to the point (sad as it may seem) where I'm not sure much can be done.  Perhaps if we adopted the Tongan system of attractiveness it'll be better.
Within the gay community, I think the is a lot of room for increased tolerance of alternative beauty ideals. Gainers/Encouragers  being more open about their preferences would be helpful. We perpetuate the taboo by keeping it under wraps.
I really don't think there is anything that can be done, in some ways.
the more you do it and talk about it the more normalized it becomes
Nothing, people will probably never find it normal
Being as proud of our bellies as proud as I am as a gay men.
not sure
I'm not sure, unfortunetely it has more to do with what is socially acceptable than what people in our society are doing.
not sure???
Honestly, I don't think I fit into the typecast this survey assumes. It's as if I'm either guilty and ashamed to tell people about gaining or I'm overly outward and telling everyone about it. I like to think I fit somewhere in the middle. Within my group of friends, we don't share our sexual experiences to begin with - so it's not like I'm intentionally not able to share what gainer sex is like.

I do get that people feel shame however, and I think one of the biggest obstacles is the gay community at large. The twinks and muscly guys who jerk off on belly sites all day, but wouldn't be caught dead with a fat guy in public.
Quit having so many weight loss shows and commercials on TVs, Cuz I believe it makes some of us uncomfortable in our skins
get rid of the society label "all fat is bad skinny is hot fat is disgusting" fat can be a great look if done healthily if a person has a good diet good exercise and good self esteem it shouldn't matter what there body is like thats what society should be like, and thanx to shows like the biggest loser ect ect it never will be
Embracing the reality that not everyone can be skinny and to accept that fat is OK and that it can be beautiful to see someone grow fat.
Change society's views on obesity.
If society had the view that almost all body types have someone that is attracted to it.
public figures being pro belly / pro beefy
be true to yourself
A more accepting/even view presented in advertising and the media in general.
Maybe some good role models to some positive aspects of a gaining/feeder relationship.
Not just a more accepting society, but a gay community that isn't rooted in stereotypes about sex and an image.  It's the way that our community (gay, not necessarily gainer, but it's there too...) that makes me ashamed that I'm a gay man.
I think that society would need to change in order to really reduce it permanently, but a temporary solution could be to engage in meet-ups with other like-minded guys in a casual setting.
Education.
I don't think much can be done. In today's society, it is not an outwardly accepted trait. Although straight chubby chasing is a little more accepted, it makes it infinitely more difficult that we are a minority of a minority--homosexual fat lovers. It's really hard to gain acceptance, let alone alleviate any guilt, especially in the eyes of the judging society.
public acknowledgement of attraction to abdominal fat
If people would just accept it more.
not sure still trying to figure that out, I am currently talking with people who are out and are also attracted to fatness and encouraging.
Not a lot.  Societal attitudes would have to change.  There would have to be widespread awareness, possibly spearheaded by gainer/encourager characters in popular culture.  I can't see this happening.
well, if we continue to export the American diet overseas, there would be no thin people left, at the rate we're going. In terms of your question though, I have mixed feelings. Should we have smoker acceptance? My concern is that by making obesity okay, we might be further reducing the healthy options available in poor communities and the inner-city. Also, I feel guilty at how much food I squander to maintain my large physique. It seems selfish. I'm too concerned about those two issues to focus on acceptance all that much.
don't know
To just be open and honest about it; its like a second coming out
help people who r into gaing help them come out of the closet tell them nothing wrong being gay and loveing fat
I think getting comfortable with a fetish just takes time.  There's always a little 'shame' or discomfort, since it's not seen as a harmless fetish (i.e., the gainer 'can' become unhealthy if the gaining is not done in a healthy way).
nothing people should live the way they want be happy with yourselfs do what makes u happy dont be ashamed of likeing something differnt
I have no idea.
A less discriminative gay stereotype. Too much emphasis is placed on being thin, fake tanning, fashion, clubbing and general gay 'glamour'. Small gay scenes don't cater to larger guys, and the projected image of a successful gay relationship is always of two hot young men. This is despite the reality being most often the complete opposite. Gay media is too single-minded and unless you're into bear culture, everyone with a waist larger than a 32" is ignored or airbrushed out. A photographer I know working at my city's major gay club was instructed specifically to only take pictures of 'hot' guys, so anyone without a six pack and perfect hair/teeth etc was out. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Gradually only guys who look like that end up going. Others are pushed out, and my city's gay scene is sadly monopolised by a few individuals who nurture this image and don't cater for anyone else. It's pretty awful.







Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

Anecdotal evidence of healthy cases of people weighing at or above 'overweight - obese' BMI indexes but having happy, productive lives.
Having someone to support me.
up to you and your partner
Just tell people that I like larger guys
I don't really think there is. Apart from find a willing gainer to encourage.
I personally feel that there should be a seperation between gaining and gaining related interests and a preference for beefy/fat men.
Gaining related interests could maybe be compared to bdsm or other fetishes, that are social taboos and thus can not be talked about.
For me as an encourager there is no need to talk about my interest in gaining to friends.

however i do want my friends to know that i like beefy guys and just by openly expressing this preference shame and guilt are reduced- it appears to me that more and more people come to terms with the fact that they prefer men that don t really fit into the ideal modern days media presents - at least that s what i ve found in a lot of female friends. sharing your own preference and doing this in a way that clearly shows how very normal ones preference is seems like a good idea to me.
needs to be more in the main stream
Using different forms of advertising in my opinion would be a good way to change today's uptight society.
Publicity of some sort.
The elimination of false information surrounding how unhealthy fat is, or determining what fats side effects truly are.
Tough to say...perhaps a change not just in gay culture, but cultural views of fatness in general.  The few close friends that I have come out as a gainer and have talked about my attraction to guys with bellies and guys who have the desire to make me grow, the majority of the response was to the effect of "to each their own."  I think the biggest way to reduce any shame and guilt is that it needs to be done within one's self.  By growing confidence in yourself and desires, and acknowledging that for some of us, this isn't just a fetish, but a part of our lives.
I think to reduce the guilt and/or shame would have to be on a global scale.  People would have to be more accepting of body images that aren't skinny twinks or muscle bound jocks for the homosexuals, and the ripped abs and size zero models for the heterosexual ideal.  And even if that never happened, I believe that the only thing that would have to change would be the knowledge that I am who I am through no fault of my own.  I'm physically and emotionally attracted to whomever pleases me.  I think self-acceptance would be primary on my list of things that I could do to reduce the shame/guilt.
That would take societal change, not small changes.
unsure
no idea! maybe by accepting it?
For the fetish to be the absolute norm and in no way deviant.
If iĂ‚´d knew a way i would tell.
It's mostly about society in general. Those NAAFA people have been preaching "fat acceptance" for decades, but for the most part, society, medicine, science, and everyone else is hell-bent on so-called "healthy living." On the other hand, a few notable gainers have successfully managed to gain weight in a (relatively) healthy way, so that may change some minds. I think the jury's still out as to how much what you eat affects your health, vs. genetics. Some fat people are seemingly healthier than thin people who eat "healthy." But that goes against conventional wisdom, so... good luck with that!
Having a more acceptance of my own body image and allowing others inside the walls I put around me.
If being fat became more socially acceptable
Well, I'm not advocating Fat Pride, but if there was less emphasis on the "Ideal Body" and "No Pecs = No Sex" crap that most gay bars/clubs etc seem to advocate then the world and acceptance of who you are and what you do - would bring a happier world.
making it more acceptable
Combining the attraction with muscle and bulk attractiveness, which is more socially acceptable.
More promotion of plus-size people in the media and not glamorizing anorexia.
Less media input
To have friends to hang out with that are into the same thing.
Not much else. The meet ups and local groups are doing as much as they can.
Show them as "normal" (whatever that really means) people instead of people to be pitied or ridiculed or "saved from themselves".
I would think that seeing positive examples in the mainstream media would be a start.
Very little, it goes against the grain in every way unfortunately.
Money to buy new clothes
Ban mothers, conservatives and 'hot' people.
I don't think I'll ever be able to be out about it.
There's no NEED to .... the internal passion is too strong to really be concerned about other's notions about how I should run my life.
Face-to-face meetings with other like-minded people has had a tremendous benefit to my own fat-esteem.  In my case, taking this into the real world is a key component.
Community. To feel like you belong to a group, like "bears" or "facebook." To feel more mainstream and less like a creeping, underground fetish. To be like "oh, I don't like skinny guys, I like some belly. Check out beefyfrat or grommr and you'll get a good idea of what I'm into. There are thousands of us!
less media attention on skinny runts who don't eat
Making it clear that there's nothing to be ashamed of - everybody has their own turn ons and some are far weirder. It's who you are, not something to be ashamed of.
support there is not muchsupport for people who are shy i ofgten have found myself in a situation where i wanted to talk about it but had not one to talk about it with
More fat-friendly role models in the gay community







Order
Answer
Responses
Percent

I think if people in the community were more open in general about liking what they liked, then there wouldn't be nearly as much shame or guilt associated with it.
IMO, nothing. My body, my business--by allowing feelings of guilt or shame, you're essentially allowing the opinions of others to govern your body image and perspective. Besides I find the belonging to a sort of 'secret society' MUCH more appealing than broadcasting and assimilating the gainer community into the mainstream public any day.
the confidence already exhibited by certain gainers, if that were to become contagious then not only would the communities comfort level become greatly elevated as well as create a possibility of change in every day society
Internally--Condition yourself to embrace it. I suppose, learn to love oneself, and others for being fat. If it is solid in your brain, the way people react may not affect you [as much].
Externally--Teach people understanding/acceptance. Obviously, there are a lot of misconceptions on being fat, clarifying all things fat and why people are attracted, would lessen peoples judgement on it. I suppose.
Not living near my family.
I think the most important is to feel good with ourself and make us feel happy, accept that if ur a fat boy u dont look as a fit guy, the thing is the support in our comunity!
Finding ways to reduce the negative impact of being overweight.
no idea
I guess a lot of what I'd suggest is already being done. Meet ups, actual human interaction. If you're unsure of yourself, meeting confident, successful guys with the same interest surely can't hurt. It at least certainly helps to dispel the get-skinny-media myth that you can't be fat and have an enjoyable career, or feel good about yourself, or dress well, etc etc.
Having more people talk about it.
Honestly to people trying to gain I would just tell them don't! I'm a big Guy and I didn't stuff my self with food I'm just big now I have high blood pressure at age 21. Its not worth gaining it will hurt in the long run. I'm trying to loose 100 lbs now. I know this is anonymous but ill talk about this answer if u want bigsexy09
I don't think there could be anything, it's analogous to the guilt of being gay.  All people can do is take steps to accepting it and no longer thinking it of a shameful thing.
People within the community need to know they're not alone and need to be able to feel safe talking to each other.  However, revealing it to those outside of the community will still remain difficult for most, I believe.
Experience it for yourself. I think too many people don't actually engage in it and jerk off and then are afraid to actually go out and enjoy themselves.
People being less ignorant
uh no idea
shame and guilt are personal things
I don't think anything will change within my lifetime.  I don't know what could be done.
stop pressing the topic as taboo.
Building community and fat acceptance
Making it less obscene and sexual.
I must have my own house out of my parents' city (live in another city, or state, or country)
Probably not much
Greater acceptance in society of all kinds of people and ways of life
i have no idea, i guess, educate people that fat is good.
I dont know right now.




Total
146
100%
  
Q21 : Optional question: Do you see society becoming more 
or less accepting of fat admiration, gaining, encouraging, 
etc? Why or why not? What is the implication for the 
gaining community?

Order
Answer
Responses
Percent
1

113
100

less. Thin is in and I think it always will be for 99%
More accepting.  Obesity is on the rise and as more people are larger it will become more accepted.
i don think they'll approve because america is known for being fat and they won't like people encouraging it
being a part of the gaining community, it becomes "normal" to us seeing and chatting with guys online into it.  but society as a whole on average, I don't think they are accepting of fat admiration and all that.
I do not. Mostly because close to no one is willing to support a fetish so outlandish/against what society believes. Even now, our country can't agree on whether gays should be able to marry/adopt children, it will be quite some time before the world is ready to accept a gay culture interested in 'bigger' people.
With people getting fatter, society becomes more accepting. Therefore, the gaining community could "fit" into this fatter world !
More because more people are coming out about it
probably less. i foresee a large "fitness" movement. more bariatric surgery. more fitness programs in schools becoming mandatory...
There is a big backlash in recent years about the pressure to be thin. I don't know about total fat acceptance per se, but I think that more fat will become less scrutinized. And hopefully this means more male celebs on the beach shirtless showing off their bellies :)
Its sorta become less accepting anymore. With Michelle Obama's plan to reduce the population of fat people by getting rid of our food, more and more people become more agreeable towards her.
Oddly enough the more the levels of obesity rise the greater the stigma seems to be.
I think, that there is more acceptance towards fat people. Feel good about yourself!
I think as the obesity crisis gets worse, more and more people will find other fatties attractive and it will grow in popularity
Less the more people hear about.  I think people will always think its weird
Perhaps as society's collective waistline grows, but deliberately wanting to put on weight that isn't muscle-related, I can't imagine coming to pass.
no I dont see much acceptance
yes
More accepting as time go's by
not really because skinny is all was going to "in" and fat is sick and ugly but the commumtiy going to become more mainstream
Well... i guess if it got on MTV it's out in the light now and individuals that may have felt those feelings or were curious now know they aren't alone.
More accepting in near future (that is the trend with most of the things), less accepting after the western civilisation falls
With obesity on the rise, it could become less of a problem! ;)
Becoming more accepting. Even though Hollywood is still pushing strong for what's "hot" and "attractive", society is slowly understanding that having some weight on the body IS attractive, and that's being determined with both sexes. Plus sized woman are just as attractive as thinner woman. What's becoming more attractive is how we carry our bodies and not ashamed of them.
More
more
No. There is no push for change because the minority community is so small and will spark little outside interest. No fetishes will ever infiltrate mainstream.
More
Until people get tired of the contradictory scientific findings with regard to being overweight and associated health consequences, the ignorance will continue. People should realize that we are all going to die one way or another. And rather hold yourself to some absurd physical standard, perhaps one should try to enjoy what makes them feel good, and recognize that that quality of life is important. Fitting in is not.
less. health consciousness is on the rise.
More comfortable with heavy people.  Not at all comfortable with the idea of people getting fat on purpose or for a fetish / kink
no
They are certainly more aware of it, but that doesn't mean they'll accept it.  Knowledge and acceptance are two different worlds.  Think about it.  Everyone knows bondage exists.  Do you think people accept it?  Not really.  Sex is a selfish experience.  "If I don't orgasm to it, I don't like it."  It's also, in essence, a privacy issue.  I could go on for hours on this.
With the increased public awareness of the obesity/diabetes epidemic I don't see the gaining community gaining very much acceptance at all in the future.
More accepting. However, I think it's different for everyone. It's very strange for a thin, small person (like myself) to up and be like, "I'm SUPER into big guys." Now, it's easier to do so but it still would not feel right. People wouldn't care eventually but the coming out hump is difficult, especially when people are very concerned about health now. Being a gainer is basically seen as a fuck you to being healthy, which is why it's very difficult to fathom sharing why you like it.
i think society is becoming more open-minded sexually but more fascist in a body sense. perhaps with time we might get to a point where people feel less right to judge alternative sexual expressions. i see the gaining community getting less shame-oriented on a personal level ie. more people meeting up in real life, but as comfortable as i am with that i still don't want the public nosing in
Less accepting because of the "health craze"
more accepting
no
As our society as a whole succumbs to obesity, its becoming more normal to be bigger, but not purposely.
I don't see the population getting thinner, but I do see the idea of being fat and healthy getting larger, which is completely necessary for this fetish to one, not give people such guilt and two, help us be more accepted.




No comments:

Post a Comment