On the other hand, I have also seen quite a bit of confusion, shame, guilt, and regret over this attraction since joining. I've seen guys join, then leave, then join again, then leave again, and repeat this pattern fifty more times over the subsequent years. Guys announce they are gaining with abandon, then literally abandon those plans and start losing two weeks later. Some guys will chat with me for hours, days and weeks about the gaining process, trying to solicit enough encouragement to take the plunge, only to give up and disappear.
There's something else I've noticed too. Since joining these sites, I also began meeting with beefy guys to explore the sexual side of this experience. Unlike hooking up with a guy in a bar or other public space, meeting with beefy guys required lots of conversation, friendship building, trust building, and ultimately, plans to finally meet. In other words, it was a much more involved process, and at least in my experience, I really became good friends with many of the guys I met. Yet, following what I believed to be some amazing belly experiences, many of these guys would disappear after and never contact me again for weeks or months later...or never. These weren't random hookups from a bar or gym flirt; these were friendships (albeit, friends with benefits) yet why did the friendships dissipate after the belly encounter?
The answer, I believe, is due in part to the shame and guilt associated with active participation in our fat-admiring community. And let's face it -- there is nothing more active than hooking up with another beefy member for belly play and sexual experiences, or gaining 50 lbs of fat which is now on display for the world to see. I think for many guys, these experiences bring them face-to-face with a reality that summons significant shame in their behavior, guilt about doing something they shouldn't, and regret over their choices.
Let's think about how shame, guilt and regret surface in our community. First, it might be helpful to define these terms, vís a vís our friends at Oxford:
Shame: (n) a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behaviour; a regrettable or unfortunate situation or action
Guilt: (n) the fact of having committed a specified or implied offence or crime; a feeling of having committed wrong or failed in an obligation
Regret: (v) feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over; (n) a feeling of sadness, repentance, or disappointment over an occurrence or something that one has done or failed to do
After reading these definitions, I think its easy to see how these thoughts and feelings surface in our community, such as:
- Yo-yo gaining and losing
- Joining and leaving gainer websites, often in a hasty way
- Ignoring a beefy friend after a meet-up, as if pretending he doesn't exist or the experience never happened
- Constantly asking for reassurance while gaining
- Posting throngs of pictures to get attention and more reassurance
- Switching from gaining fat to growing muscle, a more socially-acceptable form of gaining
- Believing that your gaining will somehow negatively affect others
- Believing that you are wronging others, deliberately, just to satisfy a selfish urge
- Having difficulty dating someone in the beefy community because of the attention it would bring to your kink or the ridicule you might face
- Having a brief binging period where you embrace your piggishness followed by dieting and exercise to remove all traces of such piggery.
The first step in understanding the extent of the problem is assessing the problem. So I decided to survey the beefy community with some questions about their experiences, their desires, and their guilt and shame about being into the gaining kink. Below you will find the results of the survey and my analysis. In Part II of this blog post, I will talk about confronting the guilt and shame associated with this kink, and living a satisfied life balancing your sexual kink with all the outside pressures and criticism we feel.
The Survey
This survey was written by me, not vetted, piloted, or run through confirmatory factor analysis, and as such should be considered a quasi quasi-scientific examination of our community. Nevertheless, I think I put together some interesting questions, and hopefully they will shed some light on the experiences of our community.
Just over 400 members of Grommr and Beefyfrat visited the survey, 349 started it, and 220 persevered to finish it. That's not too bad. The following is an age breakdown of the sample:
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Under 18
|
18
|
5
|
2
|
18-22
|
116
|
33
|
3
|
23-27
|
92
|
26
|
4
|
28-34
|
58
|
17
|
5
|
35-45
|
30
|
9
|
6
|
46-55
|
24
|
7
|
7
|
56-65
|
10
|
3
|
8
|
66+
|
1
|
0
|
Total
|
349
|
100%
|
Q2 : What is
your sexual orientation?
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Gay
|
268
|
77
|
2
|
Bisexual
|
46
|
13
|
3
|
Straight
|
15
|
4
|
4
|
Unsure
|
20
|
6
|
Total
|
349
|
100%
|
Q3 : How do you
self-identify in the gaining community?
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Gainer
|
209
|
31
|
2
|
Encourager
|
206
|
31
|
3
|
Admirer
|
202
|
30
|
4
|
Bloater/Inflater/Stuffer
|
54
|
8
|
Total
|
671
|
100%
|
Q4 : How would
you describe the social/political views of
your family? |
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Very
conservative
|
24
|
7
|
2
|
Moderately
conservative
|
58
|
17
|
3
|
Mildly
conservative
|
46
|
13
|
4
|
In the middle
-- neither conservative nor liberal
|
92
|
26
|
5
|
Mildly liberal
|
48
|
14
|
6
|
Moderately
liberal
|
53
|
15
|
7
|
Very liberal
|
28
|
8
|
Total
|
349
|
100%
|
Q5 : How would
you describe the religiosity of your family?
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Very
religious/fundamentalist
|
23
|
7
|
2
|
Moderately
religious
|
77
|
22
|
3
|
Mildly
religious
|
77
|
22
|
4
|
In the middle
-- neither religious nor non-religious
|
59
|
17
|
5
|
Mildly
non-religious
|
22
|
6
|
6
|
Moderately
non-religious
|
47
|
13
|
7
|
Very
non-religious
|
44
|
13
|
Total
|
349
|
100%
|
Q6 : How would
you describe your family's overall concern
about fitness and fatness?
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Very concerned -
fitness is strongly emphasized and being fat is strongly discouraged
|
30
|
9
|
2
|
Somewhat
concerned - fitness is generally good, and weight control is also good
|
174
|
50
|
3
|
Neutral -
neither concerned or not concerned
|
66
|
19
|
4
|
Not too much
concern - fitness may be somewhat valued but also not a big deal
|
71
|
20
|
5
|
No concern -
you can be as fat as you want, nobody cares
|
8
|
2
|
Total
|
349
|
100%
|
Q7 : To what
degree does your family and/or important people
in your life comment on your
weight or other people's weight
in a critical manner?
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
All the time
|
16
|
5
|
2
|
Much of the
time
|
52
|
15
|
3
|
Sometimes
|
149
|
43
|
4
|
Rarely
|
108
|
31
|
5
|
Never
|
24
|
7
|
Total
|
349
|
100%
|
Q8 : How would
you describe yourself growing up?
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
I was really
fat
|
21
|
6
|
2
|
I was somewhat
fat/chubby
|
80
|
23
|
3
|
I had a bit of
fat, but otherwise average
|
82
|
23
|
4
|
I had an
athletic build, very little fat overall
|
38
|
11
|
5
|
I was thin,
with almost no extra body fat
|
122
|
35
|
6
|
Other, please
specify:
[Open-ended
answer]
|
6
|
2
|
This was an interesting finding. Whereas I grew up stick
thin, and I believe is one of the reasons I was attracted to fat on men, many
respondents (52%) had a least some fat on them, while 46% had little to no fat.
A few opened ended responses were given as well, ranging from sickly
(presumably very thin) to chubby-to-skinny or skinny-to-chubby.
Q9 : If you are
gay, bisexual or unsure of your sexual
orientation, please indicate on the
scale below how much
shame or guilt you feel or felt about your sexual
orientation
and coming out to important people in your life
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
1. Very
guilty/ashamed - I was greatly concerned what my family and friends would
think
|
38
|
17
|
2
|
2.
|
31
|
14
|
3
|
3.
|
14
|
6
|
4
|
4.
|
15
|
7
|
5
|
5.
|
29
|
13
|
6
|
6.
|
35
|
16
|
7
|
7. Not at all
guilty or ashamed - I couldn't care less what my family and friends would
think
|
53
|
24
|
8
|
8. Not
applicable - I'm heterosexual
|
5
|
2
|
Total
|
220
|
100%
|
Q11 : Please
indicate on the scale below how much shame
or guilt you feel or felt about your attraction to bellies and fat, either on yourself or others, and telling important people in your life about this attraction |
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
1. Very
guilty/ashamed - I am greatly concerned what my family and friends would
think
|
46
|
21
|
2
|
2.
|
46
|
21
|
3
|
3.
|
39
|
18
|
4
|
4.
|
18
|
8
|
5
|
5.
|
30
|
14
|
6
|
6.
|
9
|
4
|
7
|
7. Not at all
guilty or ashamed - I couldn't care less what my family and friends would
think
|
32
|
15
|
Total
|
220
|
100%
|
Q13 : How
important is fat, bellies, gaining, etc., to
overall physical attractiveness, either on yourself or others? |
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Extremely
important - there must be some fat
|
49
|
22
|
2
|
Pretty
important - I definitely prefer some fat
|
86
|
39
|
3
|
Somewhat
important - I like fat but its not necessary
|
77
|
35
|
4
|
Not so
important - I don't care that much if fat is there or not
|
8
|
4
|
Total
|
220
|
100%
|
Q14 : If you
are sexually active, ideally how often would
you like to have sex? |
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Daily or
multiple times a day
|
25
|
11
|
2
|
Several times a
week
|
91
|
41
|
3
|
Once a week
|
25
|
11
|
4
|
Several times a
month
|
22
|
10
|
5
|
Once a month
|
7
|
3
|
6
|
Several times a
year
|
8
|
4
|
7
|
Once a year
|
1
|
0
|
8
|
Every several
years
|
2
|
1
|
9
|
Not applicable
- not sexually active
|
39
|
18
|
Total
|
220
|
100%
|
Q15 : If you
are sexually active, ideally how often would
you like to have gainer sex
(i.e., sexual activity involving
belly play, fat growing, stuffing,
encouraging, etc.)?
|
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Daily or
multiple times a day
|
32
|
15
|
2
|
Several times a
week
|
85
|
39
|
3
|
Once a week
|
14
|
6
|
4
|
Several times a
month
|
28
|
13
|
5
|
Once a month
|
9
|
4
|
6
|
Several times a
year
|
10
|
5
|
7
|
Once a year
|
1
|
0
|
8
|
Every several
years
|
2
|
1
|
9
|
Not applicable
- not sexually active
|
39
|
18
|
Total
|
220
|
100%
|
Q16 : If you
have ever had a sexual encounter with gainer/
encourager/admirer
that involved belly play, please describe,
on average, how
guilty or ashamed you felt about that
experience.For instance, if you felt you couldn't tell your friends about it(even though you would tell friends about non-belly hook-ups) then you would be experiencing some guilt or shame about the experience. |
Order
|
Answer
|
Responses
|
Percent
|
1
|
Never did it
because I was too ashamed
|
19
|
9
|
2
|
A great amount
of guilt and shame - I didn't want to tell anyone, and didn't want to do it
again
|
8
|
4
|
3
|
Moderate guilt
and shame - It was hard to tell others what I did, and I didn't want to
repeat it for quite a while
|
21
|
10
|
4
|
Minimal guilt
and shame - It was somewhat difficult to tell others, and I might have left
out the part about belly play. But I could do it again soon.
|
81
|
37
|
5
|
No guilt and
shame at all - I could do it all the time, and have no problem telling my
friends about it
|
25
|
11
|
6
|
Not applicable
- no opportunity to do it
|
66
|
30
|
Total
|
220
|
100%
|
I also asked respondents about percentage of time they spend thinking about sex, and what percentage of time they think about bellies and gaining. The responses ran the gamut of 0% to 100%, but it was clear that respondents thought about bellies and gaining as equally as they thought about sex. Clearly, these two things are synonymous for most respondents, and we are a pretty horny bunch.
I also asked respondents how much time they spend on gainer sites. The responses also ranged a great deal, from 1 hr/week to over a 100, and the average was around 18 hours/week. We do like our chubby guys, don't we?
Summary and thoughts
In this blog post, I presented the descriptive statistics from a survey asking about our interest in bellies, fat and gaining, and the degree of guilt and shame that goes along with that. For most of us, there is moderate to significant shame and guilt associated with this kink, especially the thought of sharing this part of ourselves with important friends and family. We don't necessarily feel so much guilt and shame after we have belly play and gainer sex, but we are more concerned about disclosing this aspect of our sexuality with others. Furthermore, many respondents intellectualized and rationalized their responses, saying things like, "well I don't talk about sex with my friends and they don't talk about it with me. It's just a private thing. So therefore there's no guilt." That's a nifty and not-so-productive way to deny the guilt and shame associated with this kink. Think of it this way. If you went on a date with a terrific guy who was an amazing kisser, would you tell your best friend about that? If so, then there is no reason not to tell your best friend that your date gives amazing belly rubs. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, and only talking about more socially "acceptable" (i.e., common) activities like kissing, petting, cuddling, etc., and leaving out all the stuff that acknowledges your fat interests, then you have guilt and shame about your kink. It's that simple.
You can rationalize all the reasons why you don't want to tell people, why you think it might be harmful, or how it might alienate you, but these are all just rationalizations, and all they are doing is preventing you from revealing the truth about yourself. I'm not saying you should tell your mother about your sexual kink, no more than you should tell her you like being pounded in a harness by tag-teaming polar bears. But if she asks the kind of guys you are attracted to, you absolutely should share with her that you like bigger guys, and might even want to be bigger yourself. Its no different than saying you are attracted to gingers, or blondes, or big breasts, or fit people, or people who wear glasses. The sooner we can openly acknowledge who we are and who we like, the more likely the guilt and shame we feel about this attraction will fade away.
There is much more to say on the data in this survey. For Part II, I plan to do some additional analyses of the database and run some inferential statistics to see what correlations and significant findings emerge. Also, I plan to talk about strategies to reduce guilt, shame, and regret in our lives. So stay tuned for that.
And if you haven't read enough already, all the open-ended questions are in a separate blog post. Click here to enjoy further reading of your peers' responses. :)



in cross-cultural studies, we see a distinction made between guilt and shame in this way--Shame is based on the idea others are aware of your behavior and don't approve. Guilt is more internalized, so even if no one else is aware of what you've done, you still feel bad about it. In the literature, Italian culture is considered shame based, but there is the implication if an individual doesn't "get caught" he or she may not suffer feeling bad about what's been done. The frequently used example of a Guilt culture is Jewish, and shortcomings are failings are internalized.
ReplyDeleteHey there - I think this is a great series of posts and appreciate the work and thought you put into it. In the spirit of friendly, constructive critique, I saw a few things that might reflect assumptions you don't even realize you're making;
ReplyDeleteOne of these was in the questions themselves - Q13 asks "How important is fat, bellies, gaining etc. to attraction?" but the answers available only reference whether there or not there must be "some fat." I think the answer choices assume that fat itself is important to attraction, when I know for some, including me, the mindset is much more important - I can find really thin guys very attractive if they find the idea of gaining weight attractive. The gaining mentality, so to speak, is much more important to me than the actual body/level of fatness.
I also noticed that you included "gaining and losing repeatedly" as a sign of shame, which many times it may be. For me, however, it's often just a practical way to enjoy gaining without getting huge, which at my young age and with my active lifestyle would get in the way of many things I love doing. I get off on the process/gaining itself much more than reaching any particular size, but like I said, cannot just keep gaining continuously in terms of practicality.
The last thing I noticed is where you said that we should feel as free talking to a friend about a great belly rub we received as we would about a great kiss - I agree completely, but the way you worded assumed everyone talks to their friends about dates, kissing, etc. which isn't necessarily true. And I don't mean about gay shame, but rather that different people simply have different boundaries, and many people view sex/sexual activites as something private, that they don't share with their friends. Obviously you're a psychologist and maybe think it's unhealthy to not share such things with anyone, but I'm just throwing out there.
I just find it interesting the variety of desires within our gaining/encouraging community and am pointing out ways in which your personal sexuality may have affected the survey and response, not to nitpick, but just to throw out other ways of experiencing gaining/sexuality. Hope you see it that way :)
Thanks for the comments. Its always nice to hear from readers.
ReplyDeleteInterested Reader: With regard to your constructive critique, you bring up very valid points. I'll just make a few comments. First, designing a survey that is useful and yields some data about our community is not easy, considering we have myriad attractions and kinks. If I were to put in every kink for the attraction question, it would have 100+ choices. If I left it open-ended, I would have as many unique attractions as respondents. That would be interesting indeed, but very difficult to analyze. The more choices on a question, the more respondents to the survey are needed to have statistical power. So I chose to keep the questions fairly simple with a fixed set of responses to make it easier to analyze. In truth, I would argue that you like "some fat", because attraction for you is about growing fat on a guy. You may find thin guys attractive, but the attraction is fantasizing about him growing fatter. So, therefore, some fat on a guy is ideally attractive for you, and would be the appropriate response. I actually share your attraction, and find the gaining process very hot. I agree that you need to lose to be able to gain again, but that's not what I meant about guys gaining and losing as a sign of guilt and shame. Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was referring to guys who do so because they are ashamed of their weight gain, not those who lose weight with the purposeful intent of gaining again. Finally, your critique about not talking to friends about sexual activities is a valid one. But the point I was making was that, if your friend is close enough to share that a guy was a good kisser, then sharing that he gives a great belly rub should be something our community should also share. If you never share info about a date with your friends, then naturally you wouldn't say anything about bellies either. But I find there is a double standard sometimes, where we will talk about "socially acceptable" sexual activities with our friends, like kissing, cuddling, or maybe even actual sex acts, but are ashamed to discuss belly play. I think that reflects some of the guilt/shame associated with our kink(s).
Thanks again for commenting!